You parents knew what was up! Remember them telling you to eat your broccoli?
Well they were right, once again!
They are also low in sodium, fat free and low calories!
– high in fiber, vitamin C, B6, A and potassium
– packed with photochemicals (immune system protector) and antioxidants (cell protectors and cancer preventers)
– also contains magnesium, phosphorus,zinc and iron
– cancer prevention
– cholesterol reduction
– heart health
– eye health
– originated in Italy in around the sixth century BC
– name comes from broccolo, Italian for the flower on top of the cabbage, the word is derived from Latin brachium meaning branch or arm
– came to France in 1560 and was called Italian asparagus
– Thomas Jefferson loved it and imported it!
– George W bush was not a fan and Barack Obama confessed to loving it
– California produces 90 % of the broccoli grown in the United States
– the average American only eats 4 lbs a year
Ciao for now, go eat broccolo